Welcome to James Swenson's Home Page!
This site is (continually)
Learn more about me personally. Or just find out why I won't be your friend on LinkedIn.
If you need to make an appointment, you can consult my calendar.
- Book review: Which Numbers Are Real? by Michael Henle, American Mathematical Monthly 121:6 (June-July 2014), 557-560.
- (with Christopher Frayer, Miyeon Kwon, and Christopher Schafhauser) "The geometry of cubic polynomials." Mathematics Magazine 87:2 (April 2014), 113-124.
- (with Dave Boyles, Christopher Frayer, and Leonida Ljumanovic) "Mathematics placement and student success: the transition from high school to college mathematics," in Advancing the STEM Agenda: Quality Improvement Supports STEM. ASQ Quality Press, 2012.
- (with Christopher Frayer) "Polynomial root motion."
American Mathematical Monthly 117:7 (August-September 2010), 641-645.
- The mod-two cohomology of Coxeter groups (thesis). University of Minnesota (Twin Cities), 2006.
Slides from my talks
Using LaTeX: How and why? (1/28/14)
MAA-WI slides (4/29/11): "Pi is irrational" as
Madison College Math Club slides (3/5/11): "Power rankings: Math for March Madness" as
MAA-WI slides (4/24/09): "Continuous Root Dragging" as
The following will be emailed on request:
- MAA-WI slides (4/25/08): "The mod-2 cohomology of finite Coxeter groups"
- Ripon Colloquium slides (4/9/08): "Mathematical Power Rankings: From Hilbert to Hibbert"
- UW-Platteville Colloquium slides (4/10/08): "The Numbers Game"
- MAA-WI slides (4/20/07): "How can a computer rank football teams?"
- UW-Platteville Colloquium slides (3/8/07): "2, 12, 1112, 3112, 132112, ...: Conway's audioactive chemistry"
- UW-Platteville Colloquium slides (4/11/06): "Rankings in politics and other sports"
- Augustana College Sigurdson Symposium slides (10/30/03): "Eat, drink, and be thrifty"
- The Mathematical Association of America
- A professional organization of mathematicians: see also
- MathDL (MAA Mathematical Sciences Digital Library)
- Project NExT-WI
- A resource for new faculty in the Wisconsin section of the MAA
Learn how I made Adobe Reader X play nicely with WinEdt 5 here.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----